Contract to let – database development and support
I’m working on an assignment where we have a requirement for database development and support skills. Please see below and get in touch by COB 20th March.
||The awarding authority is seeking a supplier who can provide the following services:
- Support and development of bespoke Line of Business (LoB) application written in VBA and with a Microsoft Access frontend and backend.
- Provide on-going support and development for this customer’s LoB system
- The aim of the development works is to maximise productivity for the awarding authority, who uses the system as a key component of how they run their business. In line with this the awarding authority requires a supplier who can:
- Ensure availability of functionality with Microsoft-based workgroup IT infrastructure
- Ongoing development
- Tuning system to ensure maximum throughput
- Applying best practice design to user interface
It is expected that the initial refactoring of the LoB system will be in the order of 3 working weeks, and on-going work will be one day a month maximum. Reporting to the awarding authority’s Managing Director, the supplier will operate on a retainer basis with monthly hours to be agreed on a rolling basis by the client (operating as a call-off contract).
The successful supplier will be required to deliver the following outcomes:
- Understand scope of LoB system, architecture, existing technical infrastructure, and non-functional requirements, future plans, and business goals
- Understand business process, and business needs
- Conduct a gap analysis and agree tasks with customer
- Remedy outstanding bugs in backend, and integration issues with desktop software
- Refactoring decision – help awarding authority with decision to stay with Access or upsize to SQL Server
- Explore potential cloud hosting and potential commercial opportunities which could result in a migration solution to the Cloud / MS Azure
|Main location of works
||Newcastle upon Tyne
|Reference attributed by awarding authority
||Database support and development
|Estimated value of requirement
||Previous database developer worked to an hourly rate of £25. Alternative commercial arrangements are anticipated.
||20/03/2013 (17:00) – Expressions of Interest
|How to Respond to Tender
||The awarding authority invites Expressions of Interest for the above project. Expressions of Interest should be sent to Justin Souter within the closing deadline (20/03/13 17:00).Expressions of Interest should demonstrate your experience* of developing MS Database Systems, and include1) Case studies
2) Testimonials / references
*The awarding authority is seeking a supplier who can demonstrate that their business is experienced in the following areas:
- 5 years relevant experience in consulting, architecting, programming, rolling out, and supporting MS database systems
- Database administration, architecture, delivery, optimisation; business intelligence is a nice to have, along with knowledge of upsizing Microsoft Access database to SQL Server.
- VBA programming skills in the context of Microsoft databases (Access & SQL Server), operating systems (XP, Vista, Win7), workgroup computing, and Office applications (2003 & 2007)
- Implementation skills including project management experience, and robust risk management; on-going support and optimisation
- Systems integration, user interface design expertise, and business process mapping and improvement skills
- Consultancy, interpersonal, and communication skills; agile project management experience a bonus
- Ability to translate business needs into technical solutions which work functionally, and which maximise the users’ experience
Once Expressions of Interest have been received the awarding authority will contact suppliers who demonstrate the necessary experience, with further information upon which to provide a quotation (price and commercial terms) and engagement approach, with the final stage being a short list of suppliers invited in for an interview and value for money review.
Please get in touch!
Please drop Justin a line here as soon as poss – and before COB 20/03/13, so you can be considered for the long list.
Looking forward to hearing from you.