A write-up of the combined exploits of Byte Night 09 North East.
At last it has arrived!
In addition, the weather forecast seemed v. unpleasant – Heavy rain, 8 degrees, windy. Meh
I happened to be up in Troon, doing a presentation on social media in the morning, so had a three hour drive back yem. That said, it was made more bearable but the utter genius that is Down the Line on the CD player.
The night itself
A bulleted list to save time
- I arrived at the BALTIC at around 8.15 – there was a good introduction e-mailed in advance by what to expect
- We registered at the front desk: there were sleepers & their supporters already there and the party was getting started!
- Free drinks – provided by Codeworks I believe
- Supper was a decent–looking lasagne, but they did a chicken salad for me (with my funny tummy)
- I did some mini-interviews – see video below
- After supper, we had a quiz & some amateur singing
- The MC was Kim Inglis
- When we arrived, outside on the wooden-floored balcony were some large parasols / umbrellas, which have lights and heat lamps underneath.
- This was a good sign, but [I believe] the Action for Children people asked them to be furled, as it was a bit of a cop-out!
- I then used a bit of initiative to find a pitch. I had
- A big bit of cardboard – well worth it
- A bed roll – indispensible
- 3 season sleeping bag
- Foam cushions as pillow – excellent
- Fleece hat – again a winner
- Experience of week before, in tent, was v. useful
- All in all it was a big party outside – lots of laughter, music etc., for most of the night!
- I slept from about midnight until 0400
- Wind started up
- Did a video recording with David Coxon
- Went back to sleep & we were woken just after 6
- Breakfast of bacon butties, sausage baps, tea coffee & orange – winner!
- Check all the tweets etc. via http://bytenight.osmosoft.com/
Paul Keating – Red Boat photography
- Derek Curtis and the team for organising g
- Providence for being pretty kind with the weather – it was filthy later in the morning, with rain and high winds
- David Coxon from the BALTIC for being our host and sorting the A-V side of things
- Kim Inglis for the MC’ing
- Codeworks for the free booze
- Everyone for staying out there and at it!
- AfC team for organising, St. John Ambulance for attending
- Bond Solutions for mega fund-raising – £10k
- My sponsors – I’m standing at £770 at the time of writing
- You can still contribute – if you missed out