I recently helped organise the “Where do you think You’re going” event that was held by Newcastle University at Hoults Yard. This post is a quick bulleted list of my feedback, and also a highlight of material from James Burke.
- Eclectic and genuinely thought-provoking
- Presenters were clearly experts in their fields [well, from my lay perspective!]
- Forward looking and thinking differently, not just extending ‘today’
- Teamwork – well done Hannah for pulling it off (and various others…)
- Online as much as offline – see this post for the WDYTYG social media strategy
- Before, during & after = important to follow up afterwards
- The Day itself
- Good grub via the ‘pyromaniacs lunch’, aka a barbecue ;-)
- Good chairing & summarising by Eric Sampson and Jenni Borg
- The venue worked well at Hoults Yard
James Burke presentation
I thought James was right on the money with this presentation, which probably isn’t as good as it was in the flesh:
I’ve also looked up the following elements from James’ presentation, which were particularly strong:
This is by Dr. Michael Wesch and his team at Kansas State University. If you’ve ever struggled to explain the difference between HTML and XML, your prayers have been answered!