Last week I was lucky enough to visit Philip McClenaghan and Dan Riley at D|Lab:
a multi-disciplinary team of designers, researchers and digital specialists located within the Institute of Digital Innovation (IDI) which, in addition to developing product and service innovations for a range of industry clients, works extensively with business partners wishing to explore the potential of virtual worlds on the internet.
It was a very interesting meeting, and good to get reinvigorated about Virtual Worlds etc.! :-)
From my notes, & as I understand it:
- D|Lab is a commercial venture, and it is developing a next generation VW platform which they plan to release later this year
- They created Meta-Mole as a comparative database of virtual worlds platforms
- I think Dan mentioned this Frost & Sullivan report which quoted a 465% rise in productivity [would be great to get a link to this]
- D|Lab is interested in being able to import CAD & 3ds Max files / diagrams
- They also mentioned the move to more commercial applications for VWs, e.g. Twinity
- We discussed who’s doing what with VWS in the Region
- I have found the link to an SL support desk on Tyneside (although not sure whether the desk or the contract are still in operation).
- Interesting nevertheless!
- In terms of how D|Lab differentiates itself:
- Strong R&D activities
- Developing applications & technology for VWs
- As well as VW builds etc.
- Re Machinima
@justingsouter Moviestorm crew – Hugh Hancock and Johnnie Ingram – are the machinima dudes you are looking for :-)
- UPDATE #2: Check out http://www.machinimafordummies.com/ for Hugh & Johnnie’s blog
- Working together
- The potential business opportunity is for me / SCL to act as an informed & impartial recommender for those interested in Virtual Worlds to builders like D|Lab.
- Clearly, being able to articulate what VWs, why people should care, what the benefits are etc. would be my stock-in-trade.
And that’s it really. :-D